Can Dogs Eat Bananas?
See files for Dogs
Bananas are one of the most popular fruits in the world. This fruit is not only popular among humans, but dogs like bananas too! But one may wonder: can dogs eat banana chips? Is banana good for dogs? and if we do feed our dogs bananas, should we moderate this consumption?
Dogs can eat bananas, however, as with all food, this needs to be done in moderation. Are you looking at your snack wondering, can dogs eat banana peels? If so, you’re at the right place. If you want to know more about dogs and bananas, keep reading this AnimalWised article where we discuss can dogs can eat bananas. In addition, we will be discussing side effects of bananas for dogs, including its recommended dosage.
Can dogs eat bananas?
You should know that there are many fruits and vegetables which are recommended for dogs. In addition, most dogs love these treats! Although, it is necessary to remember that dogs have specific nutritional requirements which need to be stuck to. One needs to prioritize their fat and protein contribution, which is important in making sure our animals remain healthy and energized. Fruit and vegetables can provide our dogs with vitamins and minerals necessary for their development.
It is important to note that not all dogs like the same fruits and that, in addition, some fruits and vegetables are toxic to dogs. In fact, even some fruits recommended for dogs can have a negative effects, as a result of allergy or intolerance. Therefore, it is advisable to add fruit and vegetable to a dog’s diet gradually. We suggest starting with small portions, allowing you to monitor in case of any side effects or reactions.
When feeding your dog fruits or vegetables, we recommend chopping them into small pieces, removing seeds and skin peel. You should never look at fruit as a substitute or base for a dog’s diet. Fruit and vegetables for dogs should only be used as a supplement to their meals.
Now, to reiterate, dogs can eat bananas but in moderation. However, we suggest that you keep reading to discover the: benefits, contraindications or recommended dosage of bananas for dogs.
For more about this topic of dogs, fruit and vegetables, however, you may find these following articles helpful:
Can dogs eat bananas safely
Bananas are a very tasty fruit that dogs usually enjoy. In addition to this enjoyment, they also carry many health benefits for your dog, these include:
- Potassium: Potassium is a mineral which helps to strengthen bones and allows for better absorption of calcium. In addition, it strengthens blood vessels and tones muscles.
- Vitamin B6: This vitamin holds a strong anti-inflammatory function and helps prevent cardiovascular diseases. In addition, it regulates the function of red blood cells.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C strengthens the immune system and helps to keep blood pressure levels stable.
- Natural probiotics: These natural probiotics help to regulate the intestinal flora, which translates into a healthy digestive system.This is why bananas (regulated amount) are recommended for dogs suffering from diarrhea.
Additionally, bananas contain natural sugars, which help to provide a dog with healthy energy: free from additive or artificial coloring. They also serve as a great healthy treat for your dog to enjoy!
Can dogs eat dried bananas?
As with other foods, the benefits of bananas can be overshadowed if their consumption is abused. Here are some of the consequences of feeding a dog too much banana:
- Constipation: if your dog's digestive system works correctly, eating an excessive amount of banana could cause constipation.
- Diarrhea: although it is a fruit that most dogs enjoy, it is possible that your dog doesn’t react well to banana. Some dogs experience diarrhea after banana consumption, hence the importance of gradual and controlled intake.
- Allergies: some dogs may be allergic to banana. Because of this, we recommend being careful when offering your dog banana for the first time. You should carefully monitor and observe this consumption, noting if there are any changes or reactions.
- Hyperactivity: as mentioned before, bananas contain natural sugars that provide energy. If you administer banana in excess, it could result in a hyperactive dog.
Can dogs eat banana: dosage
Once you have verified that your dog can tolerate the consumption of bananas, you can begin to adapt the portions according to your dog’s size. For dogs of smaller breeds, we suggest cutting slices of approximately one centimeter: offering your dog of these. For medium sized dogs, you can give them half a banana. Large dogs can usually consume from half to a whole banana.
Of course, in all of these cases, you should always cut the banana into small slices of no more than a centimeter. This is done as a precaution to avoid your dog choking. You can also: crush the banana, make a banana porridge and even put it in your dog’s Kong toy.
Can dogs eat banana peel?
Never let your dog eat banana peel. Banana peel is hard and difficult to chew, therefore: easy to choke on. In addition, banana peels hold high levels of potassium, which can present an excess of fiber in a dog’s body.
In some cases it has happened that, after eating banana peel, a dog has convulsed. This is because for commercial purposes: varnishes and other chemicals are added to the outside of the fruit to make it more attractive and bright. Such chemicals are extremely toxic for dogs and should be avoided at all costs.
If you discover that your dog has ingested a banana peel, it is likely that it will vomit in the following hours. If there are any other symptoms other than vomiting, or if the vomiting is excessive: we recommend going to your veterinarian immediately.
If you want to read similar articles to Can Dogs Eat Bananas?, we recommend you visit our Homemade diets category.