How to Make a Bed for your Dog
See files for Dogs
Welcome to AnimalWised. This article will show you a how to make a bed for your dog with a step by step guide, including drawings and pictures of the process in order to make this DIY project easier.
I've made my bed specifically for my dog Gus, who is big and needs an especially comfortable base since he's getting on a bit. You can adapt it to your dog and make it look however you like; this article will merely serve as a guide. Let's begin!
The first step of the process to make a DIY bed for your dog consists of drawing an outline of the design you're going to follow. You'll also need to get hold of the required materials, which include:
- Sewing machine or needle
Once you've got hold of all the materials, the next step will be to cut the foam and make the structure of the bed.
Whether or not you can do it at home will depend on the thickness and the tools you have at your disposal. Take a look at your local upholstery shops and do some research online. They'll definitely be able to help you out!
Once the structure is ready, you can start making the covers. This is a really important part, because you should be able to take them off every once in a while to wash them.
- Cut the pieces of clothing, always trying to waste as little fabric as possible.
- Fold the fabric to get two pieces of exactly the same size (top and bottom).
- Place one part of the structure (the foam) on top of the fabric.
- Draw around it onto the fabric (ideally on the side that won't be showing) and cut the silhouette out.
- When all the bits of fabric are cut out, all that's left for you to do is vertically trim the leftover fabric to join both parts together.
- To seal each part of your dog's bed, use fasteners - for instance, velcro - to hold it in the intended shape.
- Add velcro to particular areas once the covers are finished, which will ensure that the whole structure holds its shape at all times.
To conclude this step by step guide to making a bed for your dog, all you need to do is put the structure together using velcro. It's better to use a high quality velcro which will fasten the parts of the bed together well.
All that's left to do is let your dog enjoy their new bed. You can add a blanket or cushion to make it feel comfortable and warm. You can also customize it with fabric pens - by drawing their name, for instance - or any other ideas that come to mind. If you have any tips, please share them in the comments section!
If you've enjoyed reading this step by step guide on how to make a bed for your dog, I recommend that you keep browsing AnimalWised to discover the answers to Can a dog love a person?, How often should you walk your dog? and find out what is canine ethology.
Do you see Gus making himself comfortable in the picture?
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make a Bed for your Dog, we recommend you visit our Facts about the animal kingdom category.