Best Time of Day to Walk Your Dog?
See files for Dogs
Going for a walk is undoubtedly the best time of day for your dog. In addition to doing their needs, dog walks also allow them to feel stimulated and socialize with other dogs and / or people. Choosing schedules well is essential to ensure that you both have a quality walk and that their day to day life is as good as you would expect.
In this AnimalWised article we will explain what is the best time of day to walk your dog but also offer exclusive advice so that your dog enjoys walks like they never have before!
Best times to walk a dog
To start with, it is important to note that dog walks must always be done at the same time, i.e. a very regular schedule must be followed to allow them to anticipate that they will go out on the street. Although this may not seem relevant, the truth is that dogs are creatures of habit, so being able to anticipate will help them to be more balanced.
In addition to following a set schedule, the frequency of the walks can vary from one dog to another: some breeds, such as the border collie, will need between two and four walks a day, but others such as the pug or, for example, a very old dog, will be content with two. It is not always easy to know how many times to take a dog for a walk, but factors such as their age or level of energy that we observe can help us. Discover on AnimalWised how often you should walk your dog.
Now that you know these previous details, we will explain what is the best time to walk a dog and what is more convenient to do in each of the schedules:
During the morning the dog should be able to enjoy the longest walk of the day, which should last between thirty minutes and one hour, depending on the energy of the dog. The ideal is to take this walk very soon or after the opening hours of offices, when the street is not very busy. It's the perfect time to take them to a park, to the beach or simply to the nearest dog park. It is important to emphasize that in the morning their senses are especially sensitive, so allowing them to sniff all they want is a good recommendation if we want our dog to relax and relieve their accumulated stress. You could also do searching activities outdoors or play games of smell at home.
At this time of day, especially in summer, we must be alert, since it is warmer. Brachycephalic dogs (pug, bulldog or boxer) and older dogs could suffer a heat stroke if the walk is too long. So, we recommend taking short walks in the shade, where they simply can do their needs, sniff a little and socialize. This walk should be between ten and fifteen minutes.
Many people often choose the afternoon to take their dogs for exercise and / or long walks , although it is not always the best option. At this time of day, big cities are congested by traffic and noise, which causes a dog's stress levels to rise and they cannot relax and enjoy as they would at other times of the day. If we do not have the option of taking our dog to a quiet area where we can enjoy about thirty or sixty minutes of walking, it is best to take a short and simple walk, lasting about fifteen or thirty minutes at most, in which socializing, playing and being active is the main objective.
Finally, the night is usually a quiet time, so it is the right time to favor your dog's relaxation before going to sleep. We recommend taking a very calm, quiet stroll in which the dog can sniff everything they want to without any hurry.
Remember that the hours to walk the dog can vary greatly if you live in a city or the countryside, the important thing is to look at the needs of your dog and adapt the walking schedule so that they can maintain proper well-being, taking into account the indications above.
Common concerns on walking dogs
Something as simple as a dog walk can generate many doubts, so we offer a summary of the most frequent questions about this habit so important:
- How many times do we have to take a dog for a walk? As we have explained before, there is no precise schedule for each breed or age, we must experiment according to the needs of our dog. Yes, each dog should enjoy a minimum of two walks a day to be happy.
- At what age should we first take a dog for a walk? The first walk for a puppy must be fixed by the veterinarian, who will give us the approval once the puppy receives the their first vaccinations and positive reinforcement.
- Can my dog get sick if they get too close to urine and feces? In principle, if the dog is correctly vaccinated you need not fear, although as with people, vaccination is not always 100% effective. What is important is that we never scold a dog for sniffing stools because it is something instinctive and a behavior that helps them to better understand their environment and the dogs that live in it.
- How to walk dog without pulling? If your dog has not learned how to walk properly it will be best to teach them using an easy walk anti-pull harness.
- Where can I take my dog for a walk? In big cities there are designated places, known simply as a dog park. However, if you can take your dog for a walk in the mountains, much better!
- What happens if I do not take my dog for a walk? Apart from hygiene problems, not walking your dog will promote sedentary lifestyle and as a consequence, obesity. It will also lower physical and mental stimulation and their socialization will be diminished, which results in a possible occurrence of behavioral problems.
- Should I walk my dog before or after meals? Without doubt the best option is to do it before eating. A very active stroll with a full stomach could cause gastric torsion (twisting of the stomach), a serious and fatal health problem in many cases.
If you want to read similar articles to Best Time of Day to Walk Your Dog?, we recommend you visit our Animal games and fun category.