Making Egg Food for Canaries
Egg food is the staple food for hatchlings and chicks until they can eat birdseed alone. As their diet at this stage is extremely important for them to grow healthy, you must ensure your canary chicks get egg food that is of good quality, balanced and nutritionally complete.
In order to provide a diet that truly meets these standards, it is better to prepare it at home. This way, you'll be aware of all the components you are using, even if you're still using some industrial preparation as a base.
Do you want to give your little birds the best? You are in the right place. In this AnimalWised article we'll teach you all about making egg food for canaries.
The first step is to gather the ingredients you need to make egg food for canaries. These can be divided into two groups; the basic components and additional components.
- Dry egg food: Regardless of product brand, all kinds of dry egg food for young chicks are prepared following the same formula. In the pictures you can see the kind of egg food you can find in any shop, but remember that there are two types of pasta breeding, yellow and brown.
- Breadcrumbs: In addition of its use as a basic product that saves on dry egg food, the main function of breadcrumbs is to enrich it with additional components, such as proteins or vitamins.
- Rusk: Rusk is wheat flour baked at a high heat, which gives it a large capacity to absorb water. It is essential to give the food the desired consistency. If you don't have rusk, you can use couscous, which is more available because it is something that humans eat too.
- Yeast: You can use yeast for human consumption, but yeast specific to poultry is recommended.
- Niger seeds: These seeds are very appetizing for canaries, and they help the egg food taste good.
- Vitamin complex powder: Use a product specific for birds.
- Mineral complex powder: Use a product specific for birds.
- Omega-3 and omega-6: You can buy small sachets of liquid with these benefits. It is a very good product in small doses that helps young canaries grow.
- Cooked and washed rapeseed.
- Egg: Include the crushed up egg shell, as this will provide extra calcium which is very necessary for the chicks' development.
- Honey: This natural and untreated product is very good, but always in small doses.
These are additional components to prepare the egg food all year round. However, you can use many more products to make specific egg food for each season.
Making egg food for canaries is very easy, but that does not mean you can use any method or order you want. Below, we will offer three different egg food mixtures you can make with the ingredients we have listed. Try the different combinations and see what do your canaries like best!
No matter the method, you will need a clean bucket. The starting process is the same:
- Add the dry egg food and a smaller portion of breadcrumbs.
- Stir until the mixture is a smooth and solid consistency.
The second step to make egg food for canaries is all about creating the dough. Add the following ingredients to the mixture:
- Niger seed
Mix it all well until you have a smooth mass.
Now you will need another clean bucket. Mix the following ingredients there:
- 3/4 parts water
Wait until the rusk has absorbed all the water and then mix this with the mixture you made earlier. You should blend it very well, but it's better if you do it with your hands. The mixture should now be soft and smooth. It should be moist, without lumps and it should not stick to your hand.
Once you have this, put it into containers. Keep one of them to finish preparing the mixture that you will use first and keep the rest in the freezer until you need them.
In the picture you can see the texture of rusk.
In the container you have kept, add the following ingredients to the egg food:
- One tablespoon vitamin complex powder
- One tablespoon mineral complex powder
- A glass of cooked and washed rapeseed
Mix it all again until a smooth mass is formed. Bear in mind that this step should always be done when you remove a new container to thaw.
Now you can start feeding your young birds regularly with the balanced and healthy egg food for canaries that you have made. Remember that it is important to consult a professional to make sure that your canary is not suffering from nutritional deficiencies. Once they've grown, they will be able to move on to the right diet for canaries.
Learn all about caring for canaries here.
If you want to read similar articles to Making Egg Food for Canaries, we recommend you visit our Homemade diets category.