Natural Remedies for Dogs with Gastroenteritis
See files for Dogs
As we have already mentioned in other articles, dogs are susceptible to many diseases that also affect humans. Sometimes, these familiar diseases are not serious and are only a response from the dog's organism, which is trying to cope with a situation through its own healing resources.
It is essential for all dog owners to spot these reactions of their pet's body by spending time with it, observing it and getting to know it well in order to be aware of any signs that something is wrong.
If you know that your dog is sick and you would like to treat it naturally, you're in the right place. In this AnimalWised article we will talk about natural remedies for dogs with gastroenteritis.
What is gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis in dogs is a mild disease, unless there are complications. It is an inflammatory condition that affects both the stomach and the intestines. In most cases, gastroenteritis is due to a reaction of the body, which is trying to cleanse the digestive system, from either some bad food or a pathogen.
As gastroenteritis is actually a defense mechanism, it is important to treat it through natural means, rather than try to defeat it through drug treatment, while reiterating that the latter will be necessary in severe cases.
Animals are very instinctive - and their instincts behold great wisdom. For this reason, when faced with a disease, the animal usually stops eating so that all the body's energy can be re-directed to the digestive process.
However some pets, accustomed to the facilities of home life, are truly greedy and do not stop eating even when they are sick. In this case, it is up to the owner to initiate a fasting period of 24 hours; this means the deprivation of food, not water.
During this period your dog must have plenty of fresh water, or even better, a homemade solution for dehydrated dogs. The controlled 24 hours of fasting allows the digestive system to be cleaned more easily and allows for a faster recovery from gastroenteritis.
Natural remedies for dogs with gastroenteritis
In addition to the importance of fasting and gradual return to a normal feeding routine after the period of food deprivation, there are other natural remedies that are very helpful in relieving the symptoms associated with canine gastroenteritis:
- Garlic: Garlic toxicity in dogs has been much discussed, but the truth is that the quantity is the key. When the dog begins to go back to its regular diet, chopping a clove of garlic every day in its food will be of great help. Garlic is highly antibacterial and can help the digestive system effectively combat possible infections. Garlic can also be used to deworm dogs.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are products containing strains of beneficial bacteria in the intestinal flora of an organism. For this reason, it is very important to buy a specific probiotic for dogs. This product will help relieve symptoms and help improve intestinal defenses.
- Nux Vomica: Nux Vomica is a homeopathic remedy widely used for gastrointestinal disorders. For this, use a 7C dilution and dilute 3 pilules in 5 ml of water. Administer it orally with a plastic syringe.
Other tips to treat gastroenteritis in dogs naturally
If your pet has gastroenteritis and you want to treat this condition naturally, it is important to be responsible. The following tips will help you improve the health of your dog:
- If the gastroenteritis has not improved in 36 hours, you should go to the vet.
- If your dog has a fever, lethargy or is frail, veterinary assistance is essential.
- Following the fasting period, the dog must gradually return to its regular diet, initially starting with soft foods.
- Under no circumstances should you medicate your dog with drugs approved for human use, even if it works for your gastroenteritis, because their physiology is completely different.
This article is purely informative. AnimalWised does not have the authority to prescribe any veterinary treatment or create a diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian if they are suffering from any condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Natural Remedies for Dogs with Gastroenteritis, we recommend you visit our Intestinal problems category.