Anaphylactic Shock In Dogs - Symptoms And Treatment
See files for Dogs
Anaphylactic shock in dogs is a veterinary emergency that requires rapid action in order to prevent it from having fatal consequences for an animal. This life-threatening allergic reaction can be avoided and making sure that you as a dog owner can recognize the symptoms is vital!
In this AnimalWised article we will be discussing what anaphylactic shock in dogs is. In addition, we will be looking at its: causes, symptoms and treatment. It is important that, if you believe your dog is going into anaphylactic shock, you visit your nearest veterinarian immediately.
What is anaphylactic shock in dogs?
Anaphylactic shock in dogs is an serious allergic reaction that occurs immediately: as the dog comes into contact with the allergen (specific food, sting or chemical). The allergen is the substance to which the dog is allergic. The form of contact by which the dog comes into contact with the allergen can vary, for example: by inhaling it, ingesting it or any general exposure to it.
If the anaphylaxis in your dog is not addressed to immediately, it can result in: cardiac arrest, a shutting down of the animal’s organs, and in worst cases, death.
What can cause anaphylactic shock in dogs?
There are several substances that are capable of causing a dog to go into anaphylactic shock. Among these we can highlight the well-known drug: penicillin.
Other common causes of anaphylactic shock in dogs includes; poison transmitted through bee and wasp stings. Some dogs may also experience anaphylaxis after the administration of a vaccine. Although, the latter is fortunately a less frequent cause.
Symptoms of anaphylactic shock in dogs
An anaphylactic shock may present itself, at first, as a local reaction. This local reaction can be found at the point where the allergen made contact with the dog. This area may appear reddened and inflamed, and the dog will likely feel some pain and itching.
However, when anaphylactic shock occurs acutely, the reaction is generalized. In this acute case, the whole body will be affected almost immediately or within an hour. The symptoms of anaphylactic shock in dogs include:
A dog experiencing anaphylactic shock can also have difficulty breathing. They note that you can also have difficulty breathing, releasing stridor. Stridor is a high-pitched sound that we can identify as very acute: caused by a swelling of the larynx.
If a dog in this case dog does not receive immediate treatment, it will fall into a coma and die.
Anaphylactic shock in dogs: treatment
As already mentioned, anaphylactic shock in dogs is a veterinary emergency which must be attended to by a professional in a clinic. A professional will have the needed medication to treat this shock, including; adrenaline, antihistamines or corticosteroids. A professional might even need to perform specific medical procedures, such as: fluid therapy or administration of oxygen.
Therefore, if you suspect that your dog may be suffering from anaphylactic shock, take it to your veterinarian immediately. If during on thhe way, your dog stops breathing: consider performing artificial respiration or cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
Precautions against anaphylactic shock in dogs
If your dog is in anaphylactic shock, keep calm and interact with your animal as you normally would: trying to keep him/her calm. If your dog feels that you are nervous, it will take on that tension and increase its breathing, which needs to be avoided.
Any movement of the animal’s body needs to be done with extreme care. You must make sure that your dog adopts the position as he/she desires and requires, where it can breathe with ease. The only time you need to intervene, is if your dog stops breathing on the way to the vet.
How to prevent anaphylactic shock in dogs
There is no way of knowing exactly which substance is capable of causing anaphylactic shock in dogs. However, there are ways in which you can avoid situations where this shock can be triggered. For example, never give your dog medicine or vaccinations without the supervision of a professional.
In addition, if our dog has shown any allergic reaction to a drug prior: it must be recorded in its medical record and must never be re-administered. You may also request for an allergy test for your dog from your vet. In addition, you should not allow your dog to play with bees or wasps.
Finally, always make sure that you have an emergency veterinarian number on hand; specifically when travelling with your dog.
This article is purely informative. AnimalWised does not have the authority to prescribe any veterinary treatment or create a diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian if they are suffering from any condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Anaphylactic Shock In Dogs - Symptoms And Treatment, we recommend you visit our First aid category.