Best Natural Anti-inflammatories for Dogs
See files for Dogs
The body of your canine friend is very complex. In fact, it bears heavy similarities with the human body on both an anatomical and physiological level. This means it's susceptible to contracting various diseases.
Inflammation or the inflammatory process is not a serious condition, and neither is it considered a disease on its own. However, it can derive from various pathologies. Therefore, it is essential to seek veterinary supervision.
If you want to treat your dog naturally, this AnimalWised article will show you the best natural anti-inflammatories for dogs.
If your dog suffers an inflammatory process...
If your dog suffers from an inflammatory process, you will be able to see the following symptoms:
- Pain: the dog shows that they are in pain through restlessness, whining or changes in appetite and behavior.
- Heat: the inflamed area has a higher body temperature which is noticeable to the touch.
- Tumor: this refers to the swelling that occurs in the inflamed tissues, and is also easily detectable by physical examination.
- Reddening: the inflamed area becomes redder and is especially visible when the inflammation is accompanied by skin conditions.
As we mentioned at the beginning, inflammation is not a disease and is generally neither a serious condition. However, it is crucial to get veterinary attention. This inflammation may be caused by a condition that requires immediate medical treatment. A condition such as the early stages of canine osteoarthritis.
You mustn't give anti-inflammatories to your dog, especially if they are designed for human use. However, once the underlying cause of the inflammation has been detected, you can treat them with natural anti-inflammatories. These act effectively but do not cause the typical side effects of some chemical drugs with anti-inflammatory action.
Natural anti-inflammatories for dogs
We will now list the natural anti-inflammatories for dogs which, besides being safe, can also be easily administered to your pet:
- Arnica Montana: this is one of the best anti-inflammatories. This can be applied through a cream which contains the arnica plant extract, which is suitable for using on pets. However, we recommend the oral administration of the homeopathic remedy. Arnica Montana 9 CH: Dissolve 3 granules in 5 milliliters of water, twice a day. You should always administer the homeopathic remedy separate to its meals.
- Turmeric: turmeric is a culinary spice with a multitude of medicinal properties - including its incredible anti-inflammatory capacity. The dosage of turmeric for dogs ranges between 15 and 20 milligrams per kilogram of body weight, and can be added to the animal's food. We recommend buying organic turmeric as it ensures a higher proportion of the active ingredient curcumin. This is responsible for the anti-inflammatory activity.
- Blue Fish: this is the most natural form of anti-inflammatory that you can give your dog. However, you can also give your pet nutritional supplements in the form of fish oil. This type of fish contains large amounts of Omega 3 essential fatty acids, which have a powerful anti-inflammatory effect.
- Harpagophytum: Harpagophytum is an anti-inflammatory herb that can be applied to chronic conditions over long periods of time; without posing any collateral damage to your dog.
- Local heat: is the simplest natural anti-inflammatory for dogs, but is also one of the most effective. Simply apply a heat pad or hot water bottle on the affected area. Heat causes vasodilation, which therefore reduces inflammation and pain.
- Valerian: valerian for dogs is an exceptional remedy. It can be used as anti-inflammatory when inflammation is due to a musclular disorder. This plant is useful for reducing muscle contractions and accumulated muscle tension.
For a responsible natural treatment...
The natural remedies that we have shown you for treating inflammation in dogs are totally safe and are not toxic. However, to apply them responsibly we recommend that you take these into account:
- Use these anti-inflammatories under veterinary supervision. Even though they are harmless, they can react with certain drugs. Furthermore, it's necessary to get an individualized dosis adjustment.
- To complete the inflammation treatment, your dog should be able to rest. You should make sure that it doesn't perform too much movement in the inflamed area.
- If the inflammation doesn't go down within a few days, go back to the vet.
This article is purely informative. AnimalWised does not have the authority to prescribe any veterinary treatment or create a diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian if they are suffering from any condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Best Natural Anti-inflammatories for Dogs, we recommend you visit our First aid category.