How To Deworm Your Canary
A canary is a bird that has been bred in captivity for more than 500 years. This songbird is sweet, harmonious and greatly appreciated by canary enthusiasts for its pleasant and sweet melodies.
Canaries are generally easy to care for. However, most importantly, they must be kept clean. If a canary or its cage is not kept clean, they can become subject to mite and parasite infection. Therefore, if you own a canary, it is necessary to ensure that you know how to deworm your canary, both externally and internally.
What parasites target canaries?
Parasites are one of the most frequent diseases in canaries. They are most commonly contracted due to lack of hygiene in the spaces in which they live. If you have a canary, it is very important that you keep its cage and utensils clean. Parasites will not only cause your canary to fall ill, but may, in some cases, also result in death.
The most common parasites that affect these birds are:
- Mite infection: they can lodge in the animal's body and remain there for the rest of their lives. They are responsible for various diseases, such as mange (knemidocoptiasis in birds). Red mite, which feeds on blood, are the most common. They can cause weakness, nervousness and loss of color in the feathers.
- Lice: they feed on the blood of the canary, and cause itching and eventually, loss of plumage.
- Worms : they lodge inside the digestive system of the canary and begin to feed on the same food that the canary eats. They cause extreme weight loss. These worms can also causes diarrhea and infections in the digestive system.
You can deworm your canary naturally or by using commercial methods, carry on reading for more!
The use of spray to deworm a canary
The most effective and safest way to deworm a canary is through the use of sprays or specific aerosols. The most appropriate way to do this is at a veterinarians. Depending on the pathology of the animal, the treatment may differ.
You can find a wide variety of aerosols on the market. They can be used as both a form of prevention or treatment. Among the most common are those which contain active ingredients such as amino acids, thiamine, pyridoxine or nicotinamide. Remember to follow the instructions of the product properly.
Deworming canaries with garlic and water
The use of garlic is one of the most effective ways in which you can deworm a canary internally. This ingredient can also be used to naturally eliminate various species of parasites. You must, however, be careful of the dosage. This recipe includes three simple ingredients;
- Canary bottle
- A clove of peeled garlic
Pour the water and garlic clove into its water supplier. Then wait for your canary to drink. This treatment should continue for approximately 10 days. You should change the water daily, and change the garlic clove every 2 to 4 days.
Deworm canaries with apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent home insecticide for canaries. This is because of its benefits and anti-parasitic properties. All you have to do is mix a spoonful of apple cider vinegar for every liter of water. Then, pour the mixture into the drinker for the canary to ingest.
With this simple process, any type of parasite that is found in the digestive system of the bird should be expelled. In addition, vinegar prevents bacteria and fungi growth, so it is advisable to regularly add it to the animal's food.
Deworm canaries with pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin seeds can be used to deworm canaries naturally. It is a very effective way to prevent or eliminate parasites in the digestive system. Not only do they work as anti-parasitics but they also contain antioxidants that help prevent constipation and heart disease They are also highly rich in vitamins and minerals.
Extract the seeds from the pumpkin and wait for them to dry, preferably in the sun to speed up the process. Remove the skin that surrounds them and crush into little pieces. Place them in a bowl as lunch or dinner for your canary, and let them eat!
Deworm canaries with baking soda
Bicarbonate is a very effective remedy for deworming, as among its many properties, it can cleans canary plumage, cages other elements. There are several ways to use this multifaceted product:
- Bicarbonate in a canary bath: this consists of placing a tiny amount of bicarbonate inside your canaries bathtub then mix it with water. It is very useful in eliminating parasites like red mite.
- Bicarbonate powder: this consists of placing the baking powder directly inside the cage’s tray before placing newspaper or papertowel, etc. It is also advisable to spread this powder around the whole cage; in the water tank, the food container, the nest, etc. In this way the presence of mites, lice or insects can be prevented.
- Bicarbonate in water: simply place a tablespoon of baking soda for every two liters of water. Spray this mixture on different spaces of the cage. After a few minutes removed it with a dry or damp cloth. This cleaning method will leave your bird’s cage squeaky clean!
The bath of the canaries with apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent remedy which can be used to eliminate parasites that can infect the skin of your canary. Mix a spoonful of apple cider vinegar for every liter of water, and fill your canary’s bath. This is done with the aim that every time your bird goes to cool in the bath, it is impregnated with the mixture. This will eliminate all parasites, in addition to cleaning its plumage.
This article is purely informative. AnimalWised does not have the authority to prescribe any veterinary treatment or create a diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian if they are suffering from any condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Deworm Your Canary, we recommend you visit our De-worming category.