Home Remedies for Stomach Pain in Dogs
See files for Dogs
When a dog suffers stomach pain, it is not always something that we can easily detect with the naked eye. A dog suffering from this symptom may show lethargy, groans, unusual body langauge to protect their stomach, abdominal swelling and difficulty breathing. Occasionally, the stomach pain will also be accompanied by diarrhea and vomiting, signs that obviously should alarm us.
Sometimes it is possible to offer natural treatment in these cases, so AnimalWised want to elaborate on some home remedies for stomach pain in dogs.
Causes of stomach pain in dogs
Initially it is important to understand that behind this symptom may hide multiple underlying situations or health isssues. So, the causes of stomach pain in dogs can be any of the following:
- Stomach inflammation or gastritis.
- Viruses that affect the stomach or intestinal tract.
- Stomach or intestinal parasites.
- Abscesses in digestive organs.
- Bacterial infection of the uterus.
- Obstruction in the renal and biliary tract.
- Benign or malignant tumors.
Due to all the possible reasons behind stomach pain, it is imperative that we take our dog to the vet to determine the cause. They will be able to advise on the possibility of treating our dog with natural home remedies - either independently or to complement another type of treatment.
Fasting in dogs
When our dog is sick we must try to handle the situation with common sense and always respect the needs and nature of our pet. A sick animal is an animal that does not want to eat and this is going to be accentuated if the disease is located in their digestive system. In addition, instinctively the dog knows how to take care of them-self and knows how to use all their energy to recover, and not in the digestion of food.
A dog that does not eat for days will need urgent veterinary care, however, subjecting the dog to a day of fasting is the first action we must employ to treat stomach pain in dogs naturally. Obviously we must still provide them with fresh water, to avoid dehydration.
Feed your dog cleansing foods
There are several foods that help our dog to detoxify their digestive system and effectively eliminate parasites that may be infesting. When there is stomach pain it is important to include these foods in the diet, and although the raw form is always the most recommended, in this case we opt for light cooking to facilitate digestion.
The most beneficial foods that we can employ as home remedies for stomach pain in dogs are the following:
- Carrot: it purifies the gastrointestinal tract and is also an vermifuge, that is, it acts against intestinal parasites. It is also very beneficial because of the large amount of vitamins it contains.
- Turnip: Turnip is also highly depurative and will be beneficial in those cases where intestinal parasites are present.
- Honey: in addition to its nutritional power, honey is very suitable as an antiseptic, this means that it will help to fight any germs that are in the digestive system.
- Oats: they act by cleaning the entire gastrointestinal tract, favoring the elimination of mucus and fecal waste.
- Pumpkin: It is very beneficial for dogs and helps to regulate intestinal transit, in addition to being useful to prevent urinary obstructions that can also cause stomach pain in dogs.
All the vegetables mentioned can be mixed with lean meats such as chicken breast, turkey, some parts of the pork or white fish, always boiled or cooked in the griddle and well crumbled to facilitate the consumption. Likewise, it is also possible to include a little boiled rice, the cooking water being the most beneficial to treat this malaise.
Other home remedies for stomach pain in dogs
Complementary to the dietary changes we must make, we can use other natural remedies that will be very useful. The first to mention is aloe vera, since it is a plant that will help the body to regain its state of health when ingested. However, it also has properties that help to calm the inflammation of the gastric mucosa and that promotes healing if there is an injury.
Another home remedy for stomach pain in dogs, besides being very easy to access, is fresh grass rich in chlorophyll, and generally we do not even have to offer it to our dog. The ideal thing is to be able to take our dog on a walk in an environment where they can find this type of grass. They will tend to eat it if they have problems in the digestive system, since they take it for its purgative effect.
As we mentioned initially, any treatment, even if it is only dietary, should be supervised by the vet.
This article is purely informative. AnimalWised does not have the authority to prescribe any veterinary treatment or create a diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian if they are suffering from any condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Home Remedies for Stomach Pain in Dogs, we recommend you visit our Home Remedies category.