150+ Top German Dog Names
See files for Dogs
Have you just adopted a new dog or puppy? Congratulations! There is nothing like the love of a pet to fill our days with happiness. It is not surprising that we want to give back the unconditional love of our furry friend with the loving care and, of course, by choosing the perfect dog name. Pet guardians often want to choose a unique and meaningful name for their dogs, but have trouble coming up with one. If that's you, don't worry, we are here to help.
German dog names are always a great idea, whether you love the language or think a German name best suits your dog's personality (if your dog is a German shepherd or Schnauzer, for example). In this article AnimalWised brings you a list of 150+ top German dog names, both male and female, along with their meanings so that you have plenty of ideas to choose from.
German male dog names
If you are adopting a boy dog and and want to pick a German male dog name, here are some of the most popular ones. Perhaps you are looking for a name beginning with M, a funny dog name, or an easy to pronounce German name... in all cases we've got you covered.
German female dog names
If you have a female dog and are looking for a German girl dog names here is a list of some of the best. It's always a good idea to consider a dogs looks and personality when choosing a name. Maybe you have a brave female German Shepherd and want a badass German name, or perhaps you prefer a cute name for a small dog. Take a look at this list and see what inspires you.
German male dog names - with meanings
Maybe you want to choose an original name for your boy dog, and like the idea of a meaningful name related to the German language or culture. Once again, you can choose a name that suits your pup's personality, their breed or appearance. Here are a few that we like:
- Danke: meaning “thank you” in German.
- Ritter: meaning “gentleman” in German.
- Kaiser: in German the word means “leader”.
- Ulf: the word for “wolf” in German.
- Leopold: German name meaning “brave” or “bold”.
- Odin: main god in Norse mythology.
- Thor: god of thunder and strength in Norse mythology.
- Schützer: meaning “protector” in German.
- Loki: the unpredictable god of chaos and fate in Norse mythology.
- Balder: in Norse mythology, the god of light.
German female dog names - with meanings
If you have a female dog and want to choose a name based on its meaning, here are some ideas for German girl dog names. Here are some unique female dog names, based on language or taken from Germanic myths:
- Hilda: German name meaning “fighter”.
- Freyja: in Norse mythology, captain of the Valkyries.
- Heldin: German name meaning “heroic woman”.
- Fulla: German goddess of fertility.
- Vara: the keeper of oaths in Norse mythology.
- Lofn: goddess of love in German mythology.
- Eira: Germanic goddess of medicine.
- Kaysa: German word that means “pure”.
- Königin: meaning “queen” in German.
- Vör: omniscient goddess in German mythology.
If you like the ideas of names based on myths, we have a great article on mythological names for dogs.
Still haven't found a right name for your dog?
If you still haven't found the perfect dog name, here are some AnimalWised articles to help you with your search for the best dog name:
- Finnish names for dogs
- Great names for gray dogs
- Strong dog names
- Best Doberman names
- Short names for dogs
If you want to read similar articles to 150+ Top German Dog Names, we recommend you visit our Names category.