Best Male and Female Iguana Names
Iguanas are becoming ever more popular companion animals. As with any animal we adopt into a family, they need the right care and attention. They are not domesticated animals like dogs and cats. For those expecting a cuddly animal which will show you a lot of affection, perhaps iguanas are not for you. However, this doesn't mean we can't bond with our pet reptile, nor does it mean they don't have their own unique personalities. Iguana guardians aren't all the same either, but there are some necessary characteristics they need to share (iguanas are not for everyone).
Here we share the best male and female iguana names to help you decide on your own reptile's permanent moniker. You can choose one from our list or let them inspire you to come up something completely unique and original.
Choosing a name for your iguana
Here at AnimalWised, we have lots of advice on selecting names for your beloved animal friends. Whether they have four legs or two wings, selecting their name shouldn't be a chore. It should be fun and indicative of the kind of relationship you have to your iguana. You can ask yourself some questions which might be of help:
- Why do you want an iguana as a pet?
- What do you know about iguanas?
- What sort of personality does your iguana have?
- Does your iguana do anything unique?
- What makes a good iguana name for you?
Unlike cats and dogs, iguanas are not very excitable creatures. They spend a lot of their time staying still, basking in warmth and resting. They do not play with toys very often like some pets, but they do like to swim and climb. You might want to choose a name for your iguana which represents one of these activities. For example, if your iguana likes to climb, you can call them ‘Alex’ after the star of Oscar winning documentary Free Solo. Also, since iguanas do not respond to vocal commands like some pets, you don't have to worry about choosing a name they will be able to register like you do with dogs.
Equally, you can think about the background of the iguana. They are indigenous to parts of Mexico, other parts of Central and South America and the Caribbean. Maybe you can take some inspiration from these regions? They are also reptiles and closely resemble their dinosaur ancestors, so this could be a source of inspiration.
As with any pet, your own personality will play a part in choosing the best iguana name. Think about your favorite movies, sports, authors or whatever interest you have. Maybe you can name them after one of your heroes.
Names for iguanas and their meanings
Now that you have thought a little about how to choose a name for your iguana, we can help you by making some suggestions. For either female or male iguana names, you don't want to stereotype. If you did follow such stereotypes, you might think of some badass iguana names and give these to your lizard. But iguanas aren't ‘bad’. They are intelligent and fascinating creatures and are badass in the sense that they are fascinating and really cool pets. What follows are some ideas which represent all different aspects of iguanas. This means some that are funny, some that are cool and all which are good options if you can't think of something yourself.
Names for female iguanas with meaning
We will start with the names for female iguanas. You can choose the one whose meaning best identifies your new pet. Similarly, you can see if they remind you of some other cool iguana name.
- Alba: Hebrew origin, means luminous.
- Jade: refers to the green colored gemstone.
- Amaia: Basque name that means unlimited.
- Artemis: Greek goddess of the forests.
- Midori: means ‘green’ in Japanese.
- Hera: Greek goddess of women and family.
- Eva: Hebrew name meaning "living one" or “source of life”.
- Anastasia: Greek name meaning "resurrection".
- Berta: of Germanic origin, means bright and popular.
- Chloe: Greek name meaning "blooming” or “fertility".
- Estelle: Latin name, means "morning star".
- Gisela: Germanic name, means “arrow” or “pledge”.
- Melania: Greek name meaning “dark”.
- Africa: name of the continent, means “hot” in Greek.
- Cleopatra: name of ancient Egyptian pharaoh.
- Daphne: Greek nymph turned into laurel.
- Nazareth: Hebrew name meaning "the one that will blossom".
- Arya: Game of Thrones character famous for her bravery and strength.
- Read: Hebrew name meaning melancholy.
- Noemi: Hebrew name that means “pleasant”.
- Paula: Latin name meaning “small”.
- Lea: marine nymph.
- Frida: Germanic name, means "princess of peace".
- Silvia: Latin name, means "born in the forest".
- Minerva: Greek goddess of wisdom.
- Daenerys: character name of Game of thrones, mother of dragons.
- Sen: Japanese name meaning thousand.
- Teresa: Greek name, means hunter.
- Mafalda: character of the cartoonist Quino.
- Irena: name that comes from Iris, the messenger of the Greek gods.
- Talia: Greco-Latin name, means "the one that flourished".
- Olga: Scandinavian name that means “immortal”.
- Tomoe: name of a real samurai warrior.
- Olympia: Greek name, refers to Mount Olympus, home of the gods.
- Malala: name of well-known Pakistani fighter for human rights.
- Nadia: Russian name meaning “hope”.
- Rosa: Latin name, refers to flowers.
- Tamar or Tamara: Hebrew name, means “palm tree”.
- Carla: Germanic name, means strong.
Names for male iguanas with meaning
Now it's the turn of the names for male iguanas. If you just adopted one of these fascinating lizards, you can see if they match your new friend's personality.
- Charizard: name of a Pokemon that spits fire.
- Pendragon: popular character of King Arthur's sagas.
- Lagarto: means “lizard” in Spanish.
- Alvaro: Germanic name, means “defender”.
- Croco: crocodile, perfect for your male iguana.
- Sergio: comes from the Latin and means “guardian”.
- Godzilla: popular movie monster, was essentially a mutant iguana.
- Galileo: name of an Italian astronomer.
- Marcos: of Latin origin, is related to the god Mars.
- Atreus: character from Greek mythology.
- Atticus: is Latin and means Athens.
- Apollo: Greek god of the sun.
- Jorge: Spanish name meaning worker.
- Orpheus: character from Greek mythology.
- Kaiser: emperor in Germany.
- Hercules: character from Greek mythology famous for its strength.
- Goku: Dragon Ball character.
- Thor: Norse god of thunder.
- Asher: Hebrew name meaning “happy”.
- Lucas: Spanish name meaning “enlightened”.
- Akram: of Arab origin, means “generous”.
- Eros: Greek god of love.
- Silvano: Roman god of the field.
- Hakin: "wise" in Arabic.
- Achilles: hero of the Trojan war.
- Hugo: German name, means “intelligent”.
- Alex: comes from Alexander and means “warrior” in German.
- Sinatra: last name of the famous American singer.
- Khalil: Arabic name meaning “good friend”.
- Dante: Latin name meaning resistant, also famous poet known for Inferno..
- Benji: Hebrew name meaning "the smallest".
- Angel: Greek name meaning messenger.
- Guido: of Italian origin, means “forest”.
- Nadir: Arabic name, means "out of the ordinary".
- Wyatt: of English origin, means “warrior”.
Names for green iguanas
Following with our list of names for male and female iguanas, it is the turn of the green iguana, one of the most common and appreciated companion lizards in the world. It is most likely the iguana you have adopted belongs to this species. This is why we present the following names for green iguanas :
- Green Giant
- David Banner
If you don't have one of these reptiles and are thinking of having a green iguana as a pet, there are some things you should consider. That's why we have all the information you need on the green iguana as a pet.
Unisex names for iguanas
Although in this article we wanted to offer you names for male and female iguanas, we have also thought of some names for unisex iguanas. This is helpful as some people who don't have experience with iguana might not yet be able to sex their lizard correctly. Here are some good options which are either quite popular or unique:
If you have just adopted your iguana and are deciding on a name for your new reptile friend, it's important to know everything you can to make your life together long lasting. In particular, you will want to know about caring for a pet iguana so you can keep in mind any health issues they may have.
Names for baby iguanas
Have you adopted a baby iguana? We finish our list of names for male and female iguanas with some ideas for these small iguanas. The following might be suitable for you:
Now you know some names for baby iguanas, don't forget at this very sensitive stage the iguanas require a special diet. This is why we provide you some of the best advice on feeding a baby iguanas so you can know how to give them what they need to develop into strong and healthy adult lizards.
If you want to read similar articles to Best Male and Female Iguana Names, we recommend you visit our Names category.