Plants that are Toxic for Dogs
See files for Dogs
All those who have decided to welcome a dog to their home know they have just acquired a great deal of responsibility. Our furry friends need plenty of care and attention to avoid behavioral problems and health concerns.
However, there are factors that may be harder to control as they pose a threat to our dog and are found in our external environment.
This is the case for plants that are toxic for dogs, of which we sometimes find regularly in our environment but pose a serious threat to our friend. Discover which to be cautious of in this AnimalWised article.
Plants that are toxic for dogs
Here you will find the plants that are potentially dangerous for dogs, in order for you to be able to identify them and remove them from your environment:
- Marijuana: Some scientific studies have used dogs to evaluate the effects of cannabis and with maximum doses they have observed that a dog can remain unconscious for three days! But, in principle there is no mortal danger. However, it is a toxic plant and if our dog ingests it they will suffer alterations in heart rate, disorientation, excessive salivation and tremors.
- Lilies: Lilies, such as Madonna lilies, can be part of our home's decor. However, they are dangerous to dogs because after ingestion, they may experience stomach pain, tremors and lethargy.
- Sagu palm: It is the standing palm that is typically part of many gardens. Ingestion of this plant can cause gastrointestinal symptoms for our dog such as vomiting and diarrhea, although it can also affect vital organs and end up causing death due to a potential poison called cycasin.
- Daffodils: The intake of this flower causes vomiting, diarrhea and excessive salivation in our dogs but it can also have more serious consequences as it can cause heart problems and seizures.
- Azalea: The azalea is another flower that we can typically find in our environment and which, when ingested, can cause vomiting, diarrhea and excessive salivation to lethargy and death.
- Castor oil plant: Castor seeds cause burning in a dog's mouth and throat, so we will observe excessive thirst in our pet. Ricin poisoning can also be accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea. It can even lead to the animal's death.
- Bird of paradise: This exotic plant that can be found in some gardens and may cause physical discomfort to our dog as well as vomiting and diarrhea.
- Dieffenbachia: This plant occupies numerous household decorative pots and causes symptoms both external and internal. Topically, the animal will suffer irritation, blisters and inflammation, internally it will cause sore throat, inflammation of the digestive tract with difficulty swallowing, vomiting and respiratory failure.
- Holly: The fruits, seeds and leaves of this plant are poisonous, especially causing gastrointestinal symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea and severe abdominal pain), we will also observe a state of drowsiness. Its poisoning can cause severe dehydration.
- Cyclamen: Contains an active substance called cyclamine that acts as a powerful purgative, causing strong diarrhea accompanied by vomiting and abdominal pain, according to the dose we will also observe seizures, kidney failure and paralysis.
- Oleander: All parts of this plant are highly toxic, producing gastrointestinal symptoms, fever, depression of the central nervous system and cardiac disorders that can cause death by cardiac arrest.
- Amaritis: Produces gastrointestinal symptoms with severe vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, it also produces a lack of coordination, malaise and cardiac disorders. It can even cause an animal's death.
- Poinsettia: This traditional Christmas plant causes topical alterations in our animal, such as contact dermatitis, and internally ends up producing excessive salivation, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and irritation of the mucous membranes.
Signs of poisoning
In addition to plants, our dog may have contact with numerous toxic substances, so it is essential to recognize the signs typical of intoxication in order to urgently go to the vet, which will undoubtedly improve the prognosis of our pet.
If our dog has been poisoned we will be able to observe them showing:
- Signs of intense pain
- Oral bleeding
- Respiratory difficulties
What to do when faced with the ingestion of a poisonous plant?
When faced with any of the symptoms detailed above it will be essential to read as soon as possible how to treat a poisoned dog as well as how to make my dog vomit for first aid.
The best option will certainly be to go to the vet and to facilitate veterinary care and we recommend you follow these steps:
- Identify which of the plants that are toxic to dogs may have been responsible for the poisoning, thus we can start giving first aid promptly.
- Immediately call the vet, he or she will tell you what measures of first aid you should take, which will vary depending on the cause of the poisoning.
- Urgently go to a veterinary clinic, if possible take with you a sample of the plant.
Preventing the ingestion of toxic plants
Now that you know the diversity of plants that are toxic to your pet it is important that you identify them in your environment and remove them whenever possible, you must also watch over your pet when outside of the house to ensure they do not eat any of these plants.
If your dog is lucky enough to be able to walk free in natural surroundings then you should exercise caution as many of these plants can be easily found in the wild.
If you want to read similar articles to Plants that are Toxic for Dogs, we recommend you visit our Extra care category.