Wolf Quotes, Sayings and Proverbs
There are few members of the animal kingdom with as much mystique as the wolf. They have fascinated human civilizations since the two groups first met and much symbolism has been attached to the warrior wolf. Many writers, philosophers, naturalists and entire communities have created legends, had musings or written stories about these fascinating, and often intimidating, canids.
Many of the quotations about wolves mention their imposing beauty, leadership qualities, warrior strength and the many other qualities ascribed to them. At AnimalWised, we bring you 100+ wolf quotes, sayings and proverbs which reveal what our interest in wolves says about us.
Lone wolf quotes
The image of the lone wolf often conveys sadness and isolation. However, to some it also represents a romantic ideal of independence and self-reliance. When applied to the true nature of wolves, we see they are much less lonely than we often believe. Wolves are pack animals which always travel in groups. When a wolf does separate from their pack, they do not do so to seek solitude. Rather, they are in search of a mate to create their own wolfpack.
Knowledge of a wolf's true nature has done little to destroy the lone wolf ideal, as we can see from the following quotes:
- When you see me loyal to my family, then you see the wolf. (Robin Hobb)
- The wolf is not alone: it is always in company.
- You have to be like wolves: strong alone and in solidarity with the pack.
- Wolves don't hunt singly, but always in pairs. The lone wolf was a myth. (John Fowles)
- Although the wolf usually works alone, the wolf is the most united animal of all. You will not find a wolf who abandons a wounded companion.
- Like a wolf in the desert, forgotten by time, far from his pack, he goes in search of his beloved.
- When you have been a wolf, it is very difficult to be tied to a tree like a lamb.
- The moon was crying too, but the wolf never knew. (Ron Israel)
- Do like the wolf. When they reject you, act without fear of fighting and without fear of losing. Inspire loyalty and protect others.
- It is much better to walk like a lone wolf in the right direction than to follow the pack in the wrong direction.
- Whenever the wolf does not have his moon, he will howl at the stars.
- Maybe I'm just a lone wolf looking for its prey, but I am clear that when I find it, my intentions will be far from doing something wrong with it.
- There are nights where the wolves are silent and only the moon howls. (George Carlin)
- When a wolf doesn't want to do anything, he looks really adorable. (Michelle Paver)
- Every wolf only finds its cowardly ferocity in the pack. (Carlos Dómine)
- In life there are only two types of people: wolves and lambs. (Patricia Cornwell)
Although the wolf is not really a solitary animal, there are others in the animal kingdom which live relatively secluded. Take a look at our article on the top 10 solitary animals to find out more.
Strong warrior wolf quotes
Although the lone wolf legend is a misconception, the wolf being a strong warrior is firmly routed in fact. They are tenacious and frightening hunters, using skills they share with the rest of the pack. Whether alone or in a group, they are strategists as much as they are killers. Wolves also share a hierarchy, with the head male and female wolves being known as the alpha wolf and beta wolf, respectively. Here are some related wolf quote:
- Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack.
- The she-wolf seems to be hiding under the wolf. She pretends to be scared, but is actually guarding her partner's throat.
- The howling wolf is a real danger. (David Attenborough)
- The silent wolf is more striking than the barking dog.
- You can't throw me to the wolves. They come when I call them.
- I am fierce. I'm loyal. There is no one stronger. I have the heart of a lion and the soul of the moon. I am the leader of my pack. I am the alpha.
- Be like the wolf and the lion, have a big heart and the power of leadership.
- A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf. (George RR Martin)
- The tiger and the lion may be the strongest, but you will never see the wolf performing in a circus.
- My character is like that of wolves: if they don't attack, I don't bite.
- If the wolves stopped running, people would stop screaming. (German proverb)
- Live like a wolf: wild, free and hungry. (C. Pacific)
- The wolf attacks with its fangs; the bull with its horns. (Horacio)
- A wolf does not turn around when the dog barks.
- Better to live with wolves than people ... at least you know what to expect from wolves.
- Even a wolf knows how to be polite when animalistic humans have no clue about politeness. (Munia Khan)
- Hunger makes the wolf come out of the forest. (German proverb)
- We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves. (Gerald Hausman)
- The wolf may fight the bear, but the rabbit always loses. (Robert Jordan)
- The wolves go after a wounded deer. It is the nature of the beast. (Barbara Delinski)
- The wolf may change its appearance, but never its intentions. (Proverb)
- Wolves are very skilled. All they need is for people not to shoot them. (Bob Ferris)
- Sheep spend their entire lives fearing the wolf, but it is the shepherd who eats them.
- Perhaps the wolves are dangerous, but if you stop to look at them, you will realize that they are beautiful like a rose: cruel appearance, beautiful essence.
- I'm a wolf. I will bear it quietly, I will silently suffer, I will patiently wait, because I am a warrior and I will survive.
- If you can't face the wolves, don't go into the forest. (Alexandra Udinov)
- Wolves don't fight sheep... they eat them.
- Learn to be like the wolf: aggressive, but also patient, as needed.
- Nobody remembers, but it was the wolf who taught Little Red Riding Hood to walk alone without being afraid of getting lost.
- If you are given the option to be a shepherd or a sheep, be the wolf. (Josh Homme)
- In the deep, calm waters of the mind, the wolf lurks. (FT McKinstry)
- No wolf falters before biting, nor does the falcon hesitate before launching. Consequently, they hit the mark. (Shannon Hale)
- It never bothers the wolf how many sheep there are. (Virgil)
- When one runs with the wolves, one must howl with the pack. (Leon Trotsky)
- Wolves in sheep's clothing will never stop being wolves. Sooner or later they will manifest what they really are.
- Where there are sheep, the wolves are never too far away. (Plautus)
- Freedom for wolves is death for lambs. (Isaiah Berlin)
- When the shepherds fight, the wolf has his game won. (German proverb)
- The strength of the pack rests with the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is to go in a pack. (Rudyard Kipling)
- A society of sheep will eventually breed a government of wolves.
If you want to know more about wolf symbolism, you can take a look at our article on the different types of wolves and their characteristics.
Short wolf phrases
We end this list of the best wolf quotes with some perfect phrases for Instagram. These are short wolf phrases you can use in posts or stories to relate to the wolf.
- Fear makes the wolf bigger than it is.
- He who walks with wolves is taught to howl.
- The wolf does not walk alone, he always carries his pack.
- The look of the wolf penetrates to our soul. (Barry López)
- Wolves are the witches of the animal world. (Katherine Rundell)
- They beat the wolf until it bites, so they can tell that it is bad.
- Old wolves do not fall into a trap.
- If you run away from the wolf, you may meet a bear. (Lithuanian proverb)
- In the wolf pack, loyalty is an oath.
- The wolf dressed in sheep's clothing and the herd allowed the deception. (Mary Shelley)
- I'd rather live a few hours as a wolf than a hundred years as a sheep.
- When one donkey is of many, the wolves eat it. (Juan de Mariana)
- It is insane for a sheep to talk peace with a wolf. (Thomas Fuller)
- The wolf that one listens to is worse than the ogre that one fears. (JRR Tolkien)
- The wolf will always be bad if we only listen to Little Red Riding Hood.
- A wicked canary is better than a pious wolf. (Anton Chekhov)
- When the sheep make up their minds, even the wolves will flee.
- A wolf does not lose sleep over the opinion of the sheep.
- I have a wolf heart and a wolf at heart.
- A wolf does not care about the opinions of the sheep.
- Make yourself a sheep and the wolf will eat you. (German proverb)
- Flatterers look like friends, and wolves look like dogs. (George Chapman)
- Only a true wolf falls in love with the moon. (JS Ulli)
- The wolf does not know that Little Red Riding Hood goes to the forest for him.
If you have enjoyed learning these different quotes about wolves, maybe you will be interesting in seeing some quotes about dogs too!
If you want to read similar articles to Wolf Quotes, Sayings and Proverbs, we recommend you visit our Facts about the animal kingdom category.