Types of Siamese Cats
See files for Cats
Siamese cats come from the ancient Kingdom of Siam (currently Thailand), where it's said that this breed could only be owned by royalty. Fortunately, this excellent and beautiful pet can now be enjoyed by any cat lover.
In fact, there are two types of Siamese cats: the modern Siamese cat and the so-called Thai cat, which is the older breed from which modern Siamese cats originated. A main feature of the latter was that it was usually white (a sacred color in Siam) and its face was usually slightly more rounded. Its body is also slightly more compact and rounded.
AnimalWised will tell you of the different types of Siamese cats and contemporary Thai cats.
Siamese cats and their personality
A common physical feature of Siamese cats is their spectacular bright blue eyes. Siamese cats are also noteworthy for their cleanliness and how affectionate they are to people around them. They are even tremendously patient and proactive with children.
I've personally enjoyed the company of several Siamese cats throughout my life, and I remember my daughters putting dresses and doll hats on the poor cat and pushing it around belly up in a toy pram. On occasions they also put the cats in the back of a large toy truck, and pulled them up and down the corridor with a rope. In my experience, I've not seen such rapport or affection towards children with any other breed of cat.
Colors of Siamese cats
The different types of Siamese cats are currently distinguished by their color, since they're very similar in shape. Their body is slender, elegant and flexible, despite possessing a well-defined muscular build which makes them very agile.
The colors of their coat can range from creamy white to dark brownish-grey. However, they always display a particular characteristic in their face, ears, feet and tail which makes them stand out from other breeds of cat. The body temperature in these areas is lower, and the hair of Siamese cats is much darker in these places, ranging from almost black to solid black. This, combined with their blue eyes, clearly sets them apart from other breeds.
Here we'll explain the different colorations of Siamese cats:
Light-colored Siamese cats
- Lilac point is the light grey Siamese cat. This beautiful color is very common, but it should be noted that the fur of Siamese cats darkens with age.
- Cream point is the cat with cream-colored or light orange fur. Cream or ivory fur is more common than orange. Many kittens are very white when they're born, but their color changes after just three months.
- Chocolate point is the light brown Siamese cat.
Dark-colored Siamese cats
- Seal point is the dark brown Siamese cat.
- Blue point is the term given to Siamese cats with a dark grey coat.
- Red point Siamese cats have dark orange coats. This is a very unusual color in Siamese cats.
Variants of the standard colors
There are two further types of variations in Siamese cats:
- Tabby point refers to Siamese cats of any the above colors who exhibit a striped, tabby pattern in their fur.
- Tortie point is the name given to the Siamese cats with reddish spots, which is why said coat is referred to as "tortoiseshell".
If you want to read similar articles to Types of Siamese Cats, we recommend you visit our Comparisons category.