What Are the Names of the Game of Thrones Dragons? 🐉 (SPOILERS)
Everyone has heard of the famous Game of Thrones series and of course, its incredible dragons, probably the most popular fantastic characters in the series. We know that winter is coming, which is why, in this new AnimalWised article, we are going to talk about what the names of Game of Thrones Dragons are, but not only that, we will also offer you some important details about their color, traits and character or about their appearances in the series.
Find out more about Daenerys Targaryen's dragons, also known as Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Mereen, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons:
Summary of House Targaryen's history
But before we talk about the dragons, we'll talk a little bit about the universe of Game of Thrones:
Daenerys is a member of house, Targaryen whose ancestors,conquered Westeros with the power of dragon fire many years ago. They were the first to unite the seven kingdoms, which had always been at war with each other.
The Targaryen family ruled the seven kingdoms for centuries until the birth of the Mad King, who, obsessed with fire, burned anyone who contradicted him. He was killed by Jaime Lannister during a rebellion organized by Robert Baratheon, and since then he has been known as "the king slayer".
From the beginning, Daenerys was forced to live in exile in the Western lands until her brother married her to a Dothraki chief, the powerful Khal Drogo. To celebrate this promising union, a wealthy merchant presents the new queen with three dragon eggs.
After many adventures in the Khalasar, Daenerys lays the eggs in a bonfire and enters as well, as she is immune to fire. This is how the three dagons are born.
- Character and Appearance: This is the largest, strongest and most independent of Daenerys' three dragons. His name, Drogon, honors the memory of Daenerys deceased husband, Khal Drogo. Its scales are completely black, but it has a red ridge. He's the most aggressive of the three.
- Drogon's appearances in the series: He is Daenerys favorite dragon and the one that appears most in the series. In season two, she discovers that the word "Dracarys" causes Drogon to spit fire. In season four Drogon kills a girl and makes the three dragons spend a long time chained in the cellars of Mereen. In season 5 Drogon saves Daenerys from battle in the Daznack pit. Drogon is also present when Daenerys convinces the Dothraki army to join her. Already in season seven, Drogon serves as Daenerys' saddle to get the war booty the Lannisters take to King's Landing.
- Character and appearance: Viserion has the name of Daenerys' other brother, Viserys Targaryen. It has cream-colored scales and some parts of its body, such as the crest, are golden. Still, it is sometimes referred to as "the white dragon. One theory suggests that its name will bring bad luck to the Targaryen, but it is undoubtedly the most affectionate and quiet dragon of the three.
- Viserion's appearances in the series: In the second season, Viserion appears with his two brothers in the cage that transports Daenerys to Qarth. In season six, during Daenerys' disappearance, we can see him chained and starving, that's when Tyrion Lannister decides to release him. In season seven, along with his two brothers, helps Jon Snow save his life from white walkers, but unfortunately the King of the Night shoots an ice spear into his heart and dies instantly. Later on he is resurrected by the King of the Night and becomes part of the army of white walkers.
- Character and appearance: Rhaegal has the name of Daenerys' other deceased brother, Rhaegal Targaryen. Its scales are green and bronze. It is probably the quietest of the three dragons and is smaller than Drogon.
- Appearance of Rhaegal in the series: In the second season Rhaegal appears with his brothers in the small cage that transports Daenerys to Qarth. In season six, during the disappearance of Daenerys, Viserion and him are released by Tyrion Lannister. In season seven he reappears again when they help John Snow save his life from the white walkers and in another scene we can observe a very special moment between him and the fake bastard.
If you want to know more...
If you want to quench your Game of Thrones knowledge even further and learn more about the animals and creatures on Game of Thrones, we recommend you take a look at our article on the Wolves of Game of Thrones... You can't miss it!
If you want to read similar articles to What Are the Names of the Game of Thrones Dragons? 🐉 (SPOILERS), we recommend you visit our Facts about the animal kingdom category.