What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad

By Josie F. Turner, Journalist specialized in Animal Welfare. Updated: July 9, 2017
What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad

See files for Dogs

If your dog has bitten a toad and you're worried, you've make the right decision to do some research about it. Toad poisoning is one of the most frequent types of intoxication for dogs that live on farmhouses or go to the countryside regularly.

It should be treated as a veterinary emergency because it can affect the dog's nervous system, leading to mild episodes of respiratory failure and even causing death. If you're absolutely sure that your pet is poisoned, take it to a vet as soon as possible.

If you're not sure, however, read on this AnimalWised article to find out what to do if your dog bites a toad.

You may also be interested in: What To Do If Your Dog Has A Seizure

The defense system of the common toad

The common toad's skin contains secretory glands which secrete a poisonous or irritating liquid; another poisonous substance is secreted by paratoid glands behind the eyes. Furthermore, they are also able to produce toxins from all parts of their body as a defense strategy when threatened.

The poison is only dangerous when it comes into contact with mucous membranes, mouth or tear ducts, but once it enters the bloodstream it starts to cause circulatory and nervous system disorders.

What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad - The defense system of the common toad

What are the symptoms of toad venom poisoning in dogs?

The toad's slow movements and loud noises provoke an obvious interest from your pet, who will try to catch it or play with it. If you've spotted a toad nearby and your pet starts displaying the following symptoms, don't waste any time - there's a chance that they have been poisoned:

  • Seizures
  • Muscular weakness
  • Tremors
  • Confusion
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscle movements
  • Pupil dilation
  • Abundant salivation
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting

Once you're sure that your dog has bitten a toad and been poisoned, keep reading this article to learn what to do about it. We'll go over the necessary first aid steps and what your vet is most likely to do to treat your pet.

What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad - What are the symptoms of toad venom poisoning in dogs?

My dog has bitten a toad: First aid

If you think your dog has bitten or licked a toad, it's really important not to waste any time. Open the dog's mouth and wash their tongue to remove any possible toxins that have not yet been swallowed. Lemon juice, if you have it at hand, will be more effective than water because it saturates the taste buds and reduces the absorption of poison.

Don't waste time. Go to a vet as soon as possible so that they can treat the symptoms and try to keep your pet as stable as possible. Try to stop your dog moving or feeling nervous during the trip.

Steer clear of homemade remedies or tricks for this problem, because this poisoning can develop into a serious issue that is capable of killing your animal.

What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad - My dog has bitten a toad: First aid

How to treat toad venom poisoning

Once you get to the emergency veterinary centre, the professionals will try to stop the symptoms and create an electrolyte balance. The most important thing is that your dog survives.

They will use barbiturates or benzodiazepines to try and stop convulsions, and they'll also try to control other symptoms such as salivation and spasms. They'll probably also use intravenous fluids and other medication required for this particular case.

Once controlled, the dog will begin to receive oxygen until it reaches a steady physiological state, and will be kept under observation until all the symptoms remit.

What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad - How to treat toad venom poisoning

This article is purely informative. AnimalWised does not have the authority to prescribe any veterinary treatment or create a diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian if they are suffering from any condition or pain.

If you want to read similar articles to What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad, we recommend you visit our First aid category.

Write a comment

Add an image
Click to attach a photo related to your comment
What did you think of this article?
Our dog bit a non-poisinous toad last night. He started having an abundance of saliva (foaming at the mouth), we rinsed his mouth out with plenty of water. He seemed to be acting normal. Now it's
the next day (13 hours later) and he's not eating, drinking, urinating or having any bowl movement. He is still acting normal. Is there a need to do an emergency visit to the vet? He has a check-up scheduled for the day after tomorrow.
Administrador AnimalWised
As these symptoms can be worrying, it is best to go to the veterinarian to diagnose any possible issues.
My dog came into contact with a toad or maybe a frog.
I washed his mouth and gave milk to drink and half a antiistamine.
he appears to be okay . do the symptons of poisening occurr straight away or can they appear later
Administrador AnimalWised
Hi Patricia,

Do you know if the frog is poisonous?
What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad
1 of 5
What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad

Back to top