What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad

What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad

If your dog has bitten a toad and you're worried, you've make the right decision to do some research about it. Toad poisoning is one of the most frequent types of intoxication for dogs that live on farmhouses or go to the countryside regularly.

It should be treated as a veterinary emergency because it can affect the dog's nervous system, leading to mild episodes of respiratory failure and even causing death. If you're absolutely sure that your pet is poisoned, take it to a vet as soon as possible.

If you're not sure, however, read on this AnimalWised article to find out what to do if your dog bites a toad.

The defense system of the common toad

The common toad's skin contains secretory glands which secrete a poisonous or irritating liquid; another poisonous substance is secreted by paratoid glands behind the eyes. Furthermore, they are also able to produce toxins from all parts of their body as a defense strategy when threatened.

The poison is only dangerous when it comes into contact with mucous membranes, mouth or tear ducts, but once it enters the bloodstream it starts to cause circulatory and nervous system disorders.

What are the symptoms of toad venom poisoning in dogs?

The toad's slow movements and loud noises provoke an obvious interest from your pet, who will try to catch it or play with it. If you've spotted a toad nearby and your pet starts displaying the following symptoms, don't waste any time - there's a chance that they have been poisoned:

  • Seizures
  • Muscular weakness
  • Tremors
  • Confusion
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscle movements
  • Pupil dilation
  • Abundant salivation
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting

Once you're sure that your dog has bitten a toad and been poisoned, keep reading this article to learn what to do about it. We'll go over the necessary first aid steps and what your vet is most likely to do to treat your pet.

My dog has bitten a toad: First aid

If you think your dog has bitten or licked a toad, it's really important not to waste any time. Open the dog's mouth and wash their tongue to remove any possible toxins that have not yet been swallowed. Lemon juice, if you have it at hand, will be more effective than water because it saturates the taste buds and reduces the absorption of poison.

Don't waste time. Go to a vet as soon as possible so that they can treat the symptoms and try to keep your pet as stable as possible. Try to stop your dog moving or feeling nervous during the trip.

Steer clear of homemade remedies or tricks for this problem, because this poisoning can develop into a serious issue that is capable of killing your animal.

How to treat toad venom poisoning

Once you get to the emergency veterinary centre, the professionals will try to stop the symptoms and create an electrolyte balance. The most important thing is that your dog survives.

They will use barbiturates or benzodiazepines to try and stop convulsions, and they'll also try to control other symptoms such as salivation and spasms. They'll probably also use intravenous fluids and other medication required for this particular case.

Once controlled, the dog will begin to receive oxygen until it reaches a steady physiological state, and will be kept under observation until all the symptoms remit.

This article is purely informative. AnimalWised does not have the authority to prescribe any veterinary treatment or create a diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian if they are suffering from any condition or pain.

If you want to read similar articles to What to Do if My Dog Bites a Toad, we recommend you visit our First aid category.