How to Get Rid of Rats Naturally Without Harming Them
If you are not familiar with rat behavior, it can be very difficult to drive them away. They reproduce extremely quickly and are capable of transmitting disease to humans and vice versa. In houses and apartments around the world, rats find shelter and food, trying to go unnoticed as much as possible.
In this AnimalWised article, we will show you how to get rid of rats using effective, non-harmful means to keep them away and prevent them from coming back.
Characteristics of rats
Rats are rodents of the family Muridae. Rats originated in Asia and Australia and are now found all over the world. Currently, there are more than 60 different species. Rats are medium-sized, toothy rodents. They have an elongated body, a pointed snout and a long, thin tail. Their fur is generally dark brown, light brown or black.
It is no surprise that these animals can adapt to different environments. They will eat virtually any food, swim, dig, climb and run. Unfortunately, this very adaptability has led them to live in the water pipes of cities, where they can catch all sorts of diseases. Salmonella, parasites, or bubonic plague are just a few of the diseases that rats transmit to humans. They can also be infested by a number of external and internal parasites, including fleas and ticks. Rats can also cause significant structural damage by eating through insulation, electrical wiring and even walls.
If you are interested in learning more about rats, then do not miss this article on how to tell the difference between a rat and a mouse.
How to drive away rats from the house?
Finding that rats are living in your home can be unsettling, but all you have to do is heed the following tips to get rid of rats without killing them. These are simple home remedies that will help you scare away the rats naturally.
1. Deep cleaning
Rats settle in areas Rats settle in areas where they find the right conditions to survive. So the first step is to eliminate the elements that attract them. This requires a thorough cleaning of the house:
- Take out the trash every day.
- Get airtight trash cans and seal the bags very well.
- Verify that drains, sinks, and drains, as well as other water outlets are working properly.
- Perform a thorough cleaning of all areas of the home. Use bleach or chlorine and take special care to move all furniture and appliances to clean behind them, especially in the kitchen. This will remove any debris that could serve as food for rats.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Do not leave food out in the open.
- Clean all kitchen surfaces when you are done using them.
- Discard cardboard boxes, old clothes and items that have been stored for a long time, as they create an environment where rats can hide. Rely on plastic boxes with lids to store your belongings.
- Children's and pets' rooms must be disinfected every day with vinegar or lemon because bleach and chlorine are toxic to them.
- When cleaning, you should wear gloves and a mask, as the dust from the dried feces of rats is harmful to health.
Cleaning may need to be done several times, and even a professional team might need to be hired if you want to scare rats away.
Fresh mint or peppermint oil are effective in driving away rats because their strong odor repels them.
- Soak cotton balls with mint oil, place the balls in glass containers and place them unlocked at house entrances, windows, and places where you have noticed rats in the house.
- You can also put fresh mint leaves in muslin bags and place them in the same strategic places.
- Mint leaves can also be used to make a cleaning product. To do this, you just need to prepare a mint tea, which is a mixture of a few leaves and hot water and infuse for an hour. Pour the resulting liquid into a spray bottle and use it to clean your house.
It is quite easy to keep rats out of the house with mint. You just need to change the leaves or cotton balls every 3 or 4 days, as they lose their scent over time.
3. Pepper and clove
Spices are excellent ways to repel rats without killing them. Not only are they natural, but you can make them with ingredients you commonly find in your kitchen. Gather some cloves and cayenne pepper, put them in gauze bags and place them in different places around the house. The strong aroma will scare away the rats. Remember that you will need to replace them when you no longer notice their effect.
4. Hot sauce and detergent
If you like hot sauce, you'll be pleased to hear that it's a magnificent way to drive rats out of your house. In a bowl, mix 1/2 part water, 1/2 part liquid detergent and 20 drops of hot sauce. You can use this homemade method to clean all types of surfaces. It is not recommended if you have pets or children, as they may be irritated by the effects of the hot sauce.
Because ammonia smells like the urine odor of large predators, it is extremely unpleasant to rodents and easily drives them away. Buy powdered ammonia and mix it with water. Then spray this mixture in the corners of your home, behind furniture and on problem areas. This method is not recommended if you have pets or children, as it is toxic to them.
You can use a simple onion to drive rats out of your home. Simply slice it and place it in open containers near windows, drains, and areas where you suspect rats may be entering.
7. Ultrasound devices
When it comes to scaring away rats, ultrasonic devices are among the most effective means without harming the rodents. These devices are quite simple: they emit a low-frequency sound that humans cannot perceive, but which is very unpleasant to rats, other rodents, and some insects. You can buy them in hardware stores.
As the sound they emit is directed only in one direction, the effectiveness of these devices depends solely on their placement precisely on the path rats follow to enter your house.
If you wish to know more about why are rats dangerous, then keep reading this article on 10 rats diseases transferred to humans.
How to get rid of garden rats?
Now that you know how to get rid of rats in your house, you need to know how to get rid of rats in the garden. When these rodents invade a house, it is not enough to apply the remedies inside, you also need to apply them in the garden and surroundings. We offer you the following home remedies to scare away rats without killing them and without poison:
This is one of the best ways to keep rats away from your garden, because all you have to do is plant several aromatic plants and make sure they are healthy. The rich and fresh aroma that their leaves give off will be very pleasant for you and at the same time scare away the rats.
Keeping the garden clean is also critical to keeping rats away. Remove natural debris such as tree trunks, leaves, dry plants and more. Also, keep trash cans closed and eliminate standing water deposits.
3. Other aromatic plants
Mint is not the only plant used to scent the garden while keeping rats away. Lavender, marigold, peppermint, and basil are equally effective. You just need to be careful to keep the plants healthy and water them frequently, as this causes them to release stronger aromas.
4. Wire mesh
If rats enter your yard through your fence, consider installing metal mesh. It is an effective way to drive them away without using poison.
Rats are also dangerous because they can attack your pets or vice versa. Keep reading this article to learn what to do in case your cat catches a rat.
How to get rid of rats from the ceiling?
One of the places where rats like to hide is the ceiling. You can scare them away from there with the following tips.
- Find cracks and crevices through which rats can enter your home. You'll be surprised how nimbly they can get into small spaces, so do not underestimate the cracks.
- Seal the cracks on the inside. Use putty, plaster, or cement depending on the size of the problem, and do not hesitate to call in a professional if necessary.
- As soon as the interior entrances are sealed, apply one or more of the home remedies described above to drive away rats. This will cause them to leave the house through the external ceiling.
- After you make sure all the rats are gone, it's time to repair the exterior cracks. Make sure there are no rats trapped in the ceiling, as they may chew on the walls to escape. Repair the cracks and crevices on the exterior with plaster and metal mesh.
- After a few days, check the house thoroughly for signs of rats, such as droppings, torn food bags, chewed items, etc.
Using either of these methods will keep rats from infesting your home without poison or killing them. Do not hesitate to hire a professional to repair your house if the cracks are pronounced.
If you are interested in learning more about rats and their diet, then we recommend this article on what do rats eat in the wild.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Get Rid of Rats Naturally Without Harming Them, we recommend you visit our Facts about the animal kingdom category.